If you are looking to add a new pet to your family, the choice between a puppy or a kitten can be a difficult one. But why choose? Our Santa Cruz County vets are here to tell you how you can raise a puppy and kitten together.
Raising A Puppy & Kitten Together
It is always exciting to get a new pet, but it can be scary to get two new fur babies at the same time. It might surprise you but there are actually quite a lot of benefits associated with raising puppies and kittens together. Proper introduction at a young age can help reduce the hate and fear that they may feel instinctually and help both pets overcome this quicker and even build their confidence. This is not always the cause, there are some cases where it does not work out due to the breed but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be the perfect match for each other.
Our Aptos-Creekside Pet Hospital vets will explain why raising them both at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and kittens growing up together can be a great idea for the following reasons:
- Personal Hygiene - You will begin to see your puppy and kitten grooming each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keeping Each Other Company - Some pets can feel anxiety when left alone for short, or long periods of time. If they have a friend at home with them, it gives them the opportunity to spend time with their canine or feline friend and therefore feel less lonely when you are out of the house.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep - Sleeping in their new home can be very scary at first but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training - If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules - As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
The biggest benefit associated with raising a puppy and kitten together is that they will probably become lifelong best friends. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Breeds that show a strong prey drive may not be good with cats no matter how early they are introduced. Think twice about keeping any kind of terrier, sighthound, or husky with cats. Spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good with kittens.